Learning a new language is way different from learning any other subject where the students study, write an exam, get marks and are done with the subject. To learn a language, a person needs the skills of listening, speaking, reading, and writing and then has to practice well to be fluent in it. Gaining the ability to communicate well is the sole purpose of learning any language.
Today, there are many digital language labs like Robotelesl-lab that help the students to achieve these skills and hence master the language. These labs help the students to actively participate in language learning exercises and allow them to practice much more than what they do in conventional classrooms.
There are few components that a good digital language lab must have and 5 of these must-haves are:
- Teacher’s Console: It is a desk-like station in a language lab, which is endowed with a broadcasting system. Using this system, the communication between the teacher and students happens. It has a headphone and a microphone, and in some cases, a computer is also provided for supervising students’ work and activities. The teacher is also provided with appropriate software that is required for conducting language exercises.
- Students’ Booth: These are small semi-private enclosed spaces where the students sit to receive and listen to the lessons or directions given by the teacher. There are normally 10-20 booths in a language laboratory. A student booth has an earphone and a microphone in addition to a media player/recorder that is used for recording speech and listening to audio.
- Server Computer: This is a separate storage device that is used for storing the lesson materials in a digital format.
- Headsets: These are required for both the teacher and the students. It helps in blocking the outside sounds and disturbances, and thus keeps them from away from any distraction.
- LAN: In a normal language lab, the teacher and student booths are connected via local area network. Some labs even make use of separate audio cabling.
There are many benefits of language labs. For instance, they allow for diversity in the classroom and students get a better environment to grasp the language. It fosters communication and there is no time constraint for learning a language.Today, such labs are increasingly becoming popular due to their many benefits.